Why crabgrass now?Have you seen a bumper crop of crabgrass coming up this summer? Even the most vigilant user of crabgrass pre-emergent have seen the ugly summer weed. Good ol' Mother Nature can change the effectiveness of crabgrass controls. Here are a few reason why you might have crabgrass and what you can do to control now.
- Extreme heat from last summer created a tsunami of crabgrass growing in drought stressed lawns leaving a bountiful crop of crabgrass seed ready to takeover spring bare spots.
- No crabgrass pre-emergence was applied for one reason or another. Busy running Jimmie Jr. to soccer practice and you forgot, it happens.
- Applied Step #1 PREVENT! early, but missed the recommended booster shot of PREVENT! in Uncle's Idiot Proof Lawn Care Program. Mother Nature's spring weather can change from year to year and timing is everything. This year, with the cool extended spring, crabgrass germination was delayed. A second application of PREVENT! extends control through summer and reduces the chances of crabgrass germination due to Mother Natures unpredictability.
- Heavy spring rains and UV's can breakdown the herbicide effectiveness.
- Timely summer rains helped young crabgrass to get established.
- Higher temperatures in July sent cool season grasses like fescue and bluegrass into dormancy. Giving aggressive crabgrass plants the opportunity to out compete cool season grasses.
- Soil temperatures around concrete areas such as sidewalks and driveways can reach 180+ degrees during the hot summer days. Excessive soil temperatures can damage grass roots and give heat loving crabgrass the chance to move in.
How to control crabgrass now.
Over the years, there have been products on the market to kill crabgrass. Unfortunately, they would also stress the grass plants too. Application was tricky particularly in higher temperatures (when you see crabgrass). Today we have Q-Bomb, the perfect control for annual grassy weeds and broadleaf weeds too!
- Uncle's Q-Bomb is a selective post emergent crabgrass control. Q-Bomb will control crabgrass, foxtail and broadleaf weeds like dandelions. When applied according to directions, Q-Bomb will not harm fescue or bluegrass lawns.
- Glyphosate is a non selective herbicide. Glyphosate will kill all good grass and all the ugly weeds. Reseed in 7-10 days after application. Use Glyphosate for total lawn restoration.